Ever wonder how gravies were made? Those sauces you can't eat your mash potatoes without?
Actually, there are several ways of doing this. Alot of different recipes too! But since I'm into quick and practical ways of doing things, I discovered how to make a simple yet addicting gravy which goes best with fried chicken and steaks and sometimes just eating eat on its own.
1 pack of cream of mushroom soup (you may also use the one in can)
1 small can of button mushroom (can use the pieces and stems, you'll chop them anyway)
2 medium size dried shitake mushroom, soaked and chopped finely
1 tsp butter
1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Dissolve the cream of mushroom ready mix in a sauce pan using half of water as instructed in the packaging. Say if the package says 8 cups of water, use 4 cups only
- bring to boil with constant stirring
- add mushrooms (shitake and button). You may save some for plating.
- simmer for another 2 minutes
- add soy sauce and butter
- while stirring, simmer for another minute
- turn off heat and set aside for 15 minutes
- Using a hand mixer, blend the sauce until lumps and mushrooms are crushed. If you don't have a hand mixer, use blender.
- Return to flame and simmer for minute. Serve hot.
Left over gravy can be stored in a tight container inside the refrigerator for 3 days.
Preparation time: 15 minutes