A friend of mine requested if I can cook their breakfast for 4 consecutive days...no sweat, that will be easy. But the catch is, they have a member who is a pesco vegetarian! Hmmm, what can I cook for breakfast that does not have egg or meat or chicken? Then I remembered what my mom used to cook for us, she calls it Tokwa't Baboy but since my client does not eat meat, I made some twist and voalah! Tofu in Black Bean Sauce was born.
A great tasting dish even a non-vegetarian can enjoy! Hope you will too.
250 grams tofu, cut into bite size squares
1 tsp garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp ginger, julienned
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp salted black beans, minced
1 tsp cassava flour, dissolved in 2 Tbsp tap water
1 Tbsp kinchay, chopped
1Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp seasoning
1/2 cup water
oil for deep frying
1. Deep fry cut tofu until golden brown. Set aside.
2. In a pan over medium flame, heat oil and saute garlic.
3. Once garlic is golden brown, add ginger. Saute for 1 minute
4. Add onions and saute until onions are transparent
5. Add fried tofu, black beans, kinchay and seasoning. Stir fry for 1 minute.
6. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer until liquid is reduce to half
7. Lower flame. Add dissolved cassava flour while constantly stirring.
8. Taste. if bland, add some salt. But normally since your black beans are already salted, this is optional.
Cooking time: 10 minutes