Cheesy Fish Fingers with Buttered Vegetables

In one of those days wherein me and my friends were hanging out at Texas Roadhouse in El Pueblo, Ortigas, I saw a new dish in their menu called Parmesan Crusted Cream Dory (I think). I actually did not order the dish for I'm kind of full that day but promised myself that I will make one, someday.  I don't know how they prepare it, I don't know how it tastes like (maybe one day I will try one).  Nevertheless, it was an inspiration to experiment on dory, the only gourmet fish I learned to eat.

And so, that 'someday' came.  I happen to have dory in the fridge and decided to experiment on it.  But instead on using Parmesan alone, I also used Edam cheese Bokk's mom gave us.  I don't eat Edam cheese on its own but discovered (at Mary Grace) that it can be an alternative cheese for Parmesan in some dishes.  So why not use both cheeses?  

Cheese on my fish and butter on my vegetables...perfect!

Cheesy Fish Fingers with Buttered Vegetables


Cheesy Fish Fingers
200 gms cream dory
oil for deep frying

Marinade:
1 Tbsp kalamansi (or lemon) juice
1/2 tsp rock salt
pinch of ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh milk

Coating:
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated Edam cheese
1 medium egg, beaten
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Buttered Vegetables
250 gms. snow peas, ends removed
50 gms carrot, cut into strips
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
1 medium white onion, sliced 
1 broccoli head, cut into bite size pieces
3 Tbsp (approx) salted butter
1 tsp oil
pinch of salt

Let's prepare the Cheesy Fish!

1.  Rub dory with kalamansi juice and leave for a minute.  Add salt, pepper and milk to the fish and marinate for at lest 15 minutes. 

  
2.  While waiting, combine Parmesan and Edam cheese in a covered container.  Set aside.  We'll use this later.

3.  After 15 minutes, cut the fish across the grid about 2x.5 inch each.  You may do this prior to marinating the fish, up to you.  I prefer doing it after.  I guess there is no difference in the taste (if there is please do let me know, would love to know)


3.  Discard marinade and dredge or coat each piece with flour.  For a more even coating, put the flour in a container with cover.  Put the fish in and cover.  Shake gently. Tap each piece to remove excess coating. 

4.  Gently roll each fish in a bowl of well beaten egg.   Drop each egg coated fish in the container with Parmesan and Edam cheese.  Careful not to overcrowd, you can do this in batches anyway.  Shake gently to coat and set aside.  


5.  Heat enough oil in a deep fryer or wok.  Once ALMOST smoking, adjust flame to low and fry coated fish for about 30 seconds to a minute.  Fish cooks fast and cheese as well. Drain and set aside.


Now the Buttered Vegetables

1.  In a wok, heat oil over high heat.  Add onion and bell pepper plus salt.  Stir about 1 minute or until onions are transparent.

2.  Add carrots and snow peas.  Continue tossing for 2 minutes.  Then add the butter. 

3.  Add broccoli and toss for another 2 minutes or until broccoli change color into bright green.

4.  Turn off heat and let's get ready to plate.



Comments