As part of the holiday muffins series, Anuradha of Baker Street sent out this recipe from Susannah Blake's Muffin Magic called Rocky Road Muffin. The mere mention of it's name excites me! There is rocky road ice cream, rocky road cake and now, my version of rocky road muffins! Baking this goodies after my 'no-oven-days' brought me to the heavens!
Procedure is longer compared to those I have made before because I sliced marshmallows and crushed nuts but basically, it is still simple. *wink*
I used cashew nuts instead of walnuts as the recipe suggests. Walnuts are a little expensive here in the Philippines compared to cashew nuts plus the fact that I like cashews better. Bitter sweet chocolate is what I have so I used it instead of milk chocolate.
ROCKY ROAD MUFFINS
original recipe from Susannah Blake's Muffin Magic
* 2 cups (300grams) self raising flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
* 75 grams bitter sweet chocolate chopped
* 1/2 cup cashew nuts
* 60 grams mini marshmallows or you can just chop large ones into small pieces
* 2/3 cup (150 grams) soft brown sugar
* 3/4 cup (200 ml) milk
* 2 eggs
* 75 grams butter
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease or line a 12 hole muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and marshmallows. Set aside.
3. Reserve about 1/3 of the chocolate chunks and walnuts and add the rest to the flour mixture.
4. In a separate bowl or jug; combine sugar, milk, eggs and butter.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined.
6. Spoon dollops into muffin cases and sprinkle chocolate and nuts on top. Press them gently into the batter
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool for 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack.
Aren't they gorgeous?
The week is not yet over, so go ahead and visit the awesome bakers of Muffin Monday and see how delish their Rocky Road Muffins are!